Saturday, September 10, 2011

Rule brainstorming

OK, I tried writing two Rulemaking posts and seem to have hit a bit of a wall. What is the point of this? My Rules blogging experiment seemed so easy to apply - this just seems like silliness at best.

Why make rules I know I'm only going to break? This was sort of the spinoff idea I suppose, based on my original Rules thing - those Rules already existed, I knew I would suck at them but tried them anyway. Here it seems like so far I'm making up principles with no rhyme or reason that are loosely based on challenges I've experienced. To me that sort of seems basically like "okay, I'm bitter - here's all the shit I did wrong - DON'T DO IT AGAIN." That seems neither healthy nor conducive to future self-confidence.

On the other hand, if I make rules that are more descriptive, that is, Rules I actually manage NOT to break (example: make your bed every day), do I really need to write about that? I mean sure, if I thought other people could be somehow assisted by that, but by and large I still consider myself a mess, so I don't think people should really be modeling their lives after mine.

Also I think my numbering placement scheme based on gematria is tarded ("tarded" is a quote from the movie "Idiocracy," which is why I don't consider its use here offensive).

So I think I'll brainstorm a little on what I want to have rules FOR, and how I want to figure out applying them, before I spend too much time on the ruleMAKING. I also think I'll do a little Rules reading again, because I really do aim to tie the original Fein and Schneider Rules into this - the Rules *did* help me, they were an important lily pad on my way across the pond, and now I'd like to find a way to incorporate the "real" Rules in addition to setting my own.

some brainstorming that may not make any sense to readers....

-respond, not react
-taking space
-moodiness
-creating drama
-exercise/taking care of self
-getting outside head
-focusing
-overpurchasing
-balancing friendships
-calm leadership
-forgiveness/letting go
-clutter
-obsessions

1 comment:

  1. I like the shift in examining what the rules are "for" -- the noted brainstorming has a much broader application for life in general, rather than the romantic context only. -- JR

    ReplyDelete