Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dream dream dream

I had my first Rules dream last night. In the dream, I was Rules-ing, you guessed it, texting guy. I think I was walking through a library and I knew he was in various places but I refused to look at him and just walked by. I was carrying a lot of books. I looked like a big nerd but I think I was trying to pull off the cute librarian thing. Perhaps this was the result of hearing about my college friend's escapades with various non-Rules-Girls, and having that great "this could never happen to me" feeling that I love about the Rules.

(My college friend is not a sleaz, he's just dating multiple women. There's nothing wrong with that at all. I just personally don't want to be getting very physical with a guy who may be getting that physical with someone else the next night, even if it's more or less expected in the adult sphere after a certain number of dates.)

My college friend posed another question that actually gave me a little insight into texting guy - his weekends are full so he wants to ask a girl out for a weeknight. Problem is, he's already gone out with that girl on a weekend, so he can't really go back to weeknights or else she will feel ratcheted down.

My first thought was, wow, that's so right - and if you're dating multiple women it is much easier to delay the Saturday night date as long as possible so that you delay this problem. This explains more of texting guy's behavior than any of my previous theories. (Don't worry lipman, I know this still means he's just not that into me!)

Here's the advice I gave my college friend: to avoid the slight, find some kind of an event on a weeknight and invite her to that. Make it into a real date that revolves around something that is only occurring on that night.

Anyway, I think that was my first dream about texting guy. I'm sort of disappointed we didn't make out in the dream, since I've decided that's all he's probably good for.

I did dream about facebook guy over the weekend, just one of those silly second grade dreams where you like a boy and he likes you back and you wake up a little disappointed it's not real.

Ex bf makes appearances less and less often, largely because I am less and less disturbed by the fact that I dreamed about him when I happen to do so. Funny how that works.

Rules, welcome to my subconscious.

1 comment:

  1. Aforementioned "college friend" here, and for the record, I will clarify yet again: I am NOT "dating" multiple women. I am "going on dates." There is a distinct difference. Going on dates is a (very frustrating, but necessary) prelude to "dating." Dating implies, at a minimum, some reasonable level of assurance that you will see the girl again (ie., that she isn't psychotic or a flake). Having been in the trenches now for longer than I care to say, two - or even three - dates with a girl does not provide that foundation. Dating of course is also synonymous for being in a relationship that is not yet in "long term" land. Given those two alternative meanings of the verb, stating that I am "dating multiple women" suggests that I am not interested in a monogamous relationship. You know me and that's obviously not what you mean to imply.

    ReplyDelete