Monday, April 5, 2010

My IM vice reemerges



I haven't discussed instant messaging in awhile. Back at the very beginning, before I even received my copy of the Rules for Online Dating, I noted that IMing wasn't very rules-y and hinted that I was going to sign off of it for the duration. I haven't really followed up on that, and it would appear that it is now time to do so.

As expected, the Rules generally frown on the practice of instant messaging. Rule #8 of the Online Dating rules is that you should block yourself from it altogether - though this is specifically in the context of dating websites. The Rules don't seem to account for general IM programs such as AIM and gchat. The modified Rules located in the appendix to the Online Dating volume have some guidance for IMing if you absolutely MUST, including counting to 60 before responding, and, of course, being light, breezy, and demure in your responses.

Interestingly, the Rules do allow you to go meet people in "chat rooms" as long as you wait for them to message you, in a chapter that seems a little too AOL-era to be relevant. I may go try to find a chat room at some point just to play around with this Rule - although I really don't know where I would go for that. The last time I joined an actual chat room was I believe on the IRC, in 1998.

(Note that I can't do any Rules quoting right now because I did not pack my Rules on this business trip, but the basic idea is that it's too spontaneous, too available. Maybe I'll go back and edit this post when I get home so that I can be more precise.)

Now, on to applying this to myself. It is fair to say that I have been an avid IM-er since the practice existed. My family was on Prodigy when I was 11, and I dabbled in the bulletin boards (yes, there were sexual predators on the Internet before the Internet existed). A year or two later, a friend and I dialed into each other's computers and typed to each other on a DOS interface, and could not get over how amazing it was. The same friend and I used to play around on AOL chat rooms and screwed with people. I went on BBSs throughout high school, using Legend of the Red Dragon as an alternate social life. In college, I used ICQ, then AIM, basically constantly. After college I lived abroad and used Trillian, which facilitated communications through all major chat programs then existing.

I think it is also fair to say that instant messaging has played a significant role in many of my relationships and is in fact responsible for my ill-fated marriage, and possibly its early demise.

Back one summer in college, I found out the AIM screenname of my co-worker crush and added him to my list just to watch him, never messaging. I found out he liked me too when I asked to check my email on his computer at a gathering and saw my own screenname on his list.

Another college relationship, this one long-distance, relied on IM to keep it going. One night when he wasn't online I became suspicious, freaked out, and started calling his dorm phone over and over until he answered. The next day I drove to visit him and he told me he'd cheated on me.

A little later I was lonely living abroad, not having much of a social life there due to factors beyond my control. I leaned on my good friend who I later married - spending my entire workday (his entire night!) talking to him online. After months of this, he told me he couldn't talk to me anymore unless I agreed to date him when I returned to the country. I had not felt that way about him and told him no, then spent a month miserable because my main personal contact had been cut off from me. I resumed communication with him by agreeing to go on a date with him when I got back. That coerced date, for reasons I need not explain here, led to our marriage. I later realized things weren't working out when I started having feelings for a guy I met in law school, which I indulged through IM conversations.

At various intervals throughout this period of time, I'd generally initiate IM conversations with ex boyfriends whenever I felt like getting male attention.

I walk through my dubious IM-relationship-history not to pour out all my e-drama, but to set a foundation for conquering one of my biggest Rules weaknesses. IM is instant gratification, obtained easily and without much effort. And if IM is chocolate cake, I am a grotesquely obese person huffing and puffing to get up a flight of stairs.

Back to my six months of Rules. What modifications did I actually make to my instant messaging behavior? Well, I stopped using facebook chat altogether, and I have not relented once. Nor I have I looked back at all.

As for gchat, that's a little more of an addiction and not just when it comes to guys. My brain likes to multitask, and I work better when I feel like I'm not completely isolated from the world. There are two people I gchat every day, both girls, and this particular indulgence is not something I felt like I needed to let go of. Solution? First, I removed all potential guys from my "show" list (did not block them, just removed them so that I can't see when they're online). Second, I went invisible myself, so I can just message the two girls I like talking to.

This strategy has been mostly effective until recently. The only shortfall I had was my 2nd most recent ex, who knows I'm invisible because I pulled this sometimes pre-Rules, and chats me. OK, I guess I was bad at the beginning with him because I showed him the pictures of myself I posted to the AO, but that was the worst of it. But lately, I have started falling off the IM wagon. I have initiated IM conversations with this guy when invisible. I have initiated conversations with a previous ex (4th most recent, I think) that approach flirtation.

OK, the ex thing sucks and I clearly need to stop it in the spirit of the Rules, but is not terribly dangerous to my Rules experiment IRL because both exes are far away. But that's not all.

I have made myself "visible" a couple of times to chat with a new guy friend that I am only 80% sure is just a friend. He and I had IMed a couple of times before the experiment so there was some precedent for the conversations. I don't feel chemistry with him, but I have grown to like him a great deal, and am definitely establishing some kind of a bond with him. The first few times I made myself visible in order to bait him into chatting me, which he usually did. Then I stopped caring whether he IMed me first, and just signed on and IMed him when I want to. I actually asked him to go to a movie with me spontaneously one weeknight (as in, "I want to see the 7 PM show of X, let's go") and he did it. And then we went to dinner at a sit-down place afterwards.

And since I've been on the business trip, I've been just horrible about IMing. I miss the life I was building in Atlanta. I've started to feel insecure about having just established myself on the Jewish dating scene and then ripping myself away from it for two weeks and two weekends. I worry that I'll have to start all over when I get back, that the guys who had planted seeds of interest will forget about me, that I'll lose the great progress I'd made toward having a social circle in the Jewish community.

A CUAO is supposed to brush these thoughts aside. There will always be other men. If these men forget about me they never liked me enough to begin with. When I fly into town, jetsetter that I am, I will breeze into any room and light it up. And if nobody notices me, their loss.

But I am not quite in true CUAO form yet. And the result of that is back to old habits, meaning a total lapse on IM, as to ex boyfriends but most relevantly as to my new male friend.

I suppose this would not be a problem if we were truly just friends, but it is more complicated than that. I wonder if there might be interest on his end, though he's never made any overt moves in that direction. A couple of people have suggested that we date, or that something's already going on between us. Clearly I have thought about that possibility more than once. I admit that I have wished that there were more chemistry because I enjoy his company so much. I have even thought that I might be moving towards liking him that way a couple of times. I unabashedly ask him to hang out, on IM and not. I text him and respond to his texts.

After a particularly flirtatious IM conversation, I let my friend read it over. She informed me in no uncertain terms that I was leading him on. This is not something a Rules Girl would do.

So first of all, I think it's time to get my virtual self into shape. Lay off the IM. If I cannot lay off the IM, sign on infrequently and allow guys to IM me, but do not IM them. Apply the Rules of IMing in terms of my response time and length.

Lastly, use the rest of this trip to make some kind of a decision on my guy friend. If he is just a friend, I must treat him as such and quit flirting. If he might be more, I need to start Rulesing him.

6 comments:

  1. Can I make another even more jackassy observation? And I really hope you don't take this the wrong way.

    From an outsider's perspective, it sounds like you need to start working on your self esteem a little bit. I have no idea how to do that, but you should look into it.

    From your past stories, and your current story with 80% friend, it appears that you crave male attention. I am guessing here, but it seems like you need your beauty/personality/charm/etc validated by somebody of the opposite gender. I would guess that is why you are keeping texting guy around as well. You crave the attention that he is giving you.

    As difficult as this sounds, you have got to get more comfortable with who you are. If you were really happy with who you are, and you didn't feel the need to affirmation from guys, do you think that following the rules would be an issue? Of course not, guys wouldn't be numbers 1 through 7 on your list of things to pay attention to.
    As a result, you would likely become more attractive to men (people like what they can't have).

    I will say that I have a VERY hard time following along with some of your feelings. It is hard for me to believe that you can work yourself up to liking somebody. In my experience, the feelings are there, or they are not. Anything else is forcing the issue and won't work out in the end. I am not saying this is true for everybody, but it is my perspective, so my comments might be tainted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, that observation is only jackassy in the sense that it is not really much of an observation :) Improving those aspects of my self-esteem is pretty much the entire purpose of the experiment.

    I think this post was likewise pretty clear that I'm falling somewhat short, or at least have lapsed a bit. I think being honest with myself about this stuff is actually evidence that I have improved in this realm quite a bit, and I'm proud of that. I know I'm not all the way there yet, but it's a process. Writing about my shortfalls and developing a plan is what I'm trying to do to overcome them. Hence, six months of Rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for your last remark, it's funny that you should mention working yourself up to liking somebody. I am the crusader of your stated position there, because that's exactly what I blame for my status as a divorcee. I tried to work myself up to liking my ex-husband, and it predictably went up in flames.

    But the problem with taking that viewpoint to the extreme is that true feelings for a friend can actually develop naturally over time. In these cases you're not actually working yourself up to anything - the feelings just weren't there at the beginning for whatever reason, and are now. This has happened to me twice. The relationships didn't last very long, but it wasn't for lack of feelings on my part for sure.

    In the case of my friend here, I am not trying to like him - I sometimes wish I liked him but I'm not trying to. What I have to decide is not whether I am going to make an effort to like him, but whether I do on some level. If I don't, then I quit flirting with him. If I do, then I Rules him. It may not amount to anything - and believe you me, I'm not going to force it to - but it's really not fair of me to not like him but leave the door open, as I am doing now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you can be on IM all day and be a Rules girl. There's nothing mysterious about IM. It gives him the sense that he can contact you, find you in the universe, anytime at all, without any effort or forethought. And it gives him the sense that he has tabs on you, that he knows where you are.

    The way they put it, being a Rules girl is a little bit like being a private celebrity. You can't find celebrities on instant messenger any old moment of the day. Not that girls should act like celebrities, but, if you want a guy to think of you as special, or different somehow, you have to actually BEHAVE subtly special or different.

    I liken what I do on IM when I chat with guys to doodling my first name with his last name over and over again. It's not a real conversation, it's just a re-imagination exercise. And you know what the Rules have to say about that: don't you have better things to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you being on IM is a *huge* mistake.

    Stop it!

    Before you undo all of your progress by getting back into old habits of flirting with guys and making yourself available, even if you are justifying it by saying they are ex's and not potentials. That's just an excuse for bad behavior.

    I'll say it again, "stop it!"

    This is called back-sliding girlfriend, and it is terribly dangerous--even when they are miles and miles away and not prospects. It sets the wrong tone and tricks you into thinking how you used to act was really not that bad. It was! You are putting yourself in harms way.

    The only exception I would consider is the guy who knows you are hidden. And don't respond right away or every time. Just a couple pings, once in a while. SELF-DISCIPLINE!!! It's good for you. And no overt flirting w him. You're just trying to bolster your ego with his responses and it's FALSE-EGO, because it's external--just like lipman said.

    -A Practicing Rules Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being visible on IM breaks the Rules but I think being logged on but invisible is no worse than leaving your phone turned on. Further editing the list so you aren't tempted to message guys seems like a good enough solution. Maybe if you find yourself breaking the Rules, you force yourself to stay logged out for a day or so. But otherwise I think you should be able to IM with your girlfriends.

    B.R.

    ReplyDelete