Thursday, April 8, 2010

(second) First date scorecard: A-

I have improved my GPA slightly since my last first date. In any event, although I swear I am trying to do the Rules to the best of my ability, I secretly hope I never get better than an A-. The marginal utility of Rulesiness above A- would probably squash my personality more than I'd like. That said, I did pretty damn well on this one.

Rule #5: Don't Call Him and Rarely Return His Calls: B+

He called on a weeknight, I called back on the next night, also a weeknight. He e-mailed the plan of the date (!), and I wrote back the next day saying that sounded fun -- no exclamation points or emoticons or unnecessary sentences. He texted asking for my address the day of, and I texted him back 2.3 hours later - note that I am allowed to text him because he has already asked for a Saturday night date. Boy, is it liberating to be able to text.

Rule #6: Always End Phone Calls First: B

I was sort of sick of the Rules after the conversation with Rules-resistant texting guy (who really has poofed this time), and I think I took it out on my phone call with this guy. I called him while driving, and talked to him for the length of the ride, 18 minutes. I also spoke fairly freely, and told him what I was doing that week. I didn't really end that call first, either, because after we finalized the date, it sort of ended itself. But he didn't really end it either.


Rule #7: Don't Accept a Saturday Night Date after Wednesday: A

I didn't, but there's not much more to it than that.

Rule #8: Fill Up Your Time Before the Date: A

I worked, I cleaned, I ran errands, I didn't shower until an hour before and was putting my makeup on right up until time.

Rule #4: Don't Meet Him Halfway or Go Dutch on a Date: A


As I have alluded to if not stated outright, this is more of a Rule for him than for me. But he picked me up and never suggested otherwise; he paid and it was completely non-awkward.

Rule #9: How to Act on Dates 1, 2, and 3: A/A-

(A better breakdown of the elements of this Rule is here).
  • When nervousness about the date popped into my head, I shut it down pretty quickly and was able to concentrate on getting ready in time - because I almost wasn't!
  • I let him do all the work, including running down and getting something for me out of the car, which he offered to do. He didn't pull up my chair but that would have been weird in the setting. He picked the restaurant but asked me if I liked it, he took charge and found us seats in the bar area when the place, which did not take reservations, was too crowded.
  • I didn't tell him about what I'd been doing all day. When he asked, I responded honestly but didn't give him a big play-by-play.
  • I acted nonchalantly, but he was really paying attention to me and would ask me about it whenever I smiled to myself or looked pensive in any sense. I had good answers for him and thought it was kind of cute that he noticed me like that.
  • I did not invite him up to my place on the first date, even though he sort of hinted that he'd like to (not in a sketchy way). I was extremely proud of this because pre-Rules me would have definitely allowed the date to continue when he suggested it. (I should note that pre-Rules me would not have had sex on a first date, but I honestly don't think that's what he meant).
  • The Rules say to try not to get too hung up on one guy. I am dating at least one other guy right now, although it's very hard for me to LIKE more than one at a time. And this guy is the one I LIKE right now. Siigh.
Rule #3: Don't Stare at Men or Talk too Much: A/A-

I was REALLY impressed with myself on this one because it's the hardest for me. I didn't make too much eye contact, but there was enough. I made jokes sometimes, but they were clever and generally subtle. Demure jokes, as it were. I talked at length and enthusiastically on occasion (as I am of course wont to do), but only when we were having some good back-and-forth on a particular subject. We talked about politics some, and religion some, but he brought it up. And my biggest triumph of the night - I did not try to fill silences. I waited patiently for him to continue the conversation. I "followed his lead."

Rule #11: Always End the Date First: A

Man was I ever proud of myself on this one. It was after 4.5 hours (but it was a dinner + show date, so not meeting my 4 hour cutoff can be excused), but I breezily said "should we head out?" and we did.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you should give yourself an A+ (sorry, but you should!) on "Practice, Practice, Practice!" :) Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! You sound very smiley throughout this post. I say A+ too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am commenting from an ipad how cool is this

    ReplyDelete