Monday, February 1, 2010

A Rules approach to Facebook

As previously mentioned, the Rules do not cover Facebook, so I'm going to have to get creative using "The Rules for Online Dating," drawing analogies between Facebook and one's online dating profile. For your reference:

Online Dating Rule 1: Don't Answer Men's Ads or E-mail Them First.
Online Dating Rule 3: Less Is More When Writing Your Ad
Online Dating Rule 4: Post A Smiling Photo
Online Dating Rule 5: Wait 24 Hours to Respond
Online Dating Rule 6: Don't Answer on Weekends or Holidays
Online Dating Rule 7: Write Light and Breezy E-mails
Online Dating Rule 8: Block Yourself from Instant Messages

Facebook Rule 1: Don't Friend, Poke, or Facebook Message Men First
Facebook Rule 2: Less Is More When Using Facebook Generally
Facebook Rule 3: Post a Smiling, Sober Profile Photo
Facebook Rule 4: Wait 24 Hours to Respond to Friend Requests or Facebook Messages
Facebook Rule 5: Don't Use Facebook on Weekends or Holidays
Facebook Rule 6: Don't Post on His Wall Until You're Exclusive
Facebook Rule 7: Sign Out of Facebook Chat
Facebook Rule 8: Don't Update Status More Than Once a Week
Facebook Rule 9: Write Light and Breezy Notes, Posts, and Status Updates (if you use them at all)
Facebook Rule 10: Lock Albums and Tagged Photos
Facebook Rule 11: Keep an Eye On Your Wall

Extreme? Other thoughts?

I'm going to probably write more on some of these, especially what I mean by "less is more" as it pertains to profile, groups, stuff you're a fan of, posting on friends' walls, etc. In the spirit of the Rules I did a major cleanup to my facebook profile a week or so ago, have stayed away from chat, etc.

Note also that I got really interested in the whole facebook/Rules thing just before I started this blog because a guy who had asked for my number at an event had, instead of calling me (I gave him my card, something the Rules prohibits), added me as a facebook friend with no message. I was on the fence about whether to add him or not. After a day or so, I added him back with no message. It's now been a month and he hasn't called or interacted with me on facebook at all. Did he see something in my profile he didn't like? Who knows. Oh well, next!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like without the promise of boobies, no one is coming to your site.

    Shocker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, when you're on the internet talking about the internet, it's usually boring. Talk about meeting/rejecting guys, or funny/hot sex stories. Your welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Phineas Zoid should go out on a date with you and report back with how it went.

    And by date, I mean an 8 hour sex-a-thon.

    And by report back, I mean post some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You people are all idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess if you are following "The Rules" then all your Facebook things make sense. I would say Rule #6 is a bit too extreme though. No reason why you can't have a few harmless posts if you're dating.

    I wonder if guys ever get a "she's just not that into you" thing too. I certainly would think that about a girl who never contacted me first and only wrote light, breezy notes.

    I agree with Rule 2 and 8 in general for everyone regardless of if you're trying to date over the website. Those people who update their status like 5 or more times/day get really annoying after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rule #6 may betray my disdain for wall posting generally. I definitely find myself judging people for what they post on people's walls and I just think putting yourself out there for all his facebook friends to see is a little outside the spirit of the Rules.

    Re: your second paragraph, the premise of the Rules is in fact that the guy would want her more as a result of it. This is not something I necessarily agree with, but I do think with guys it's more straightforward that before you give up on a girl, you actually put yourself out there for her. I also am not sure exactly what "light and breezy" means, as I discuss a little in my post about e-mailing this guy from my dodgeball team.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #3 - Sober? Maybe not falling down drunk would be good. but a fun buzzed pic isn't the end of the world, IMO. I know, it seems very anti-rules. But it's not about being uptight. Sometimes I think a goofy pic is fun and shows your personality.
    #8 - I think a week is a bit much. Posting a couple of times a week seems reasonable.
    #9 - Simple, BE POSITIVE! no pining, ridiculing others, whining, etc. BE HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete